There are lots of things I love, lots of stuff I hate, lots of knowledge I've acquired along the way, and lots of things I still don't understand. I suppose in a way it's about me, but I didn't want this to be a repeat of my lengthy life updates. So, it's just a collection of lists. At least one per week. An insight inside my brain, if you will. Twelve items pertaining to whatever topic I feel like, ranked in appropriate order, for your reading pleasure and mostly so I can put all my thoughts onto "paper." Maybe you'll agree. Maybe you'll think I have the dumbest opinions on the face of this planet. Maybe you'll laugh. Maybe you'll wish you could get those few minutes of your life back that you just spent reading what I had to say. But maybe, just maybe, you'll learn a little something new.

domenica 10 giugno 2012

The Things I've Learned

So, as promised, this will be a continuation of posts about Italy/my time here in general.  While I didn't find a real job here--- the time here was not lost by any means.  I had some awesome times, met some of the most wonderful people, and I learned a few things here and there.  So- today I've put together a list of a few of the things I probably wouldn't have learned if I hadn't had come--- at least not at this point in my life.   Again, these are in no particular order.

1. Changing diapers.  While I've had a teeny bit of experience before I came here-- I now fucking ROCK at changing diapers. 

2. The true meaning of patience and responsibility.  I knew that I wasn't the most patient person in the world.  I stare at the microwave waiting for my potatoes to be done, I pace back and forth while waiting for water to boil, I get SUPER annoyed when I have to stop for a red light.  But whoa--- since being here--- patience has taken on a whole new meaning.  I have had to use every single ounce I have in me to control my patience when around little children.  And I used to think responsibility meant getting good grades, showing up to work on time, and making sure chores get done.  Now--- after being responsible for two lives--- making decisions for them and being in charge of their general well-being--- being a responsible person now has an entirely different and more important meaning to me.

3.  Cooking.


The family has been super awesome.  As you may or may not have read in some of my fb statuses-- throughout my time here the family has been teaching me various Italian recipes. We've made fresh pasta, pizza, piadine, gnocco fritto, foccacia, carbonara, cacio e pepe, ragu, and various other things that are awesome and I'm for SURE going to attempt to make upon my return.

4. Italian.  While I'm still not perfect--- I've improved a TON. And while I should be a million times better--- it is still nice to be able to see the progress I've made since I arrived.

5. Just Do It.

It took me a very long time, but every time I didnt feel like doing something in the past, I'd make up some excuse and just not go or not do it.  But, it seemed stupid to pass up opportunities here-- since there have been SO many---I didn't fly across the Atlantic to sit on my ass --- and almost every time I've actually done things, they've turned out well.  So, I hope I can keep that up back home.

6. Sunglasses never need to leave your face.


They always serve a purpose, whether they are blocking the sun during the day, or making you look like a badass while wearing them on the metro--- Italy has taught me that for every occasion they are appropriate.

7. How to communicate using only hand gestures, facial expressions, and body movements.

Except now I do it too much and for SURE will look like a fool when I go home.

8.  I NEVER want children.  Kids are cool. They're great and cute and shit, but oh no.  Full time parent? No thank-you.  I do not have the patience for that and I'm definitely too selfish/lazy.  Perhaps once i actually grow up i might change my mind--- but for now I want nothing to do with that. 

9. Thanks to Vince, I now know when Columbus Day is. 



10. Alone time = awesome.  I've always been one of those people who loves to be around other people.  I'm not alone a whole lot, and I never minded it. My only alone time was when I ate.  I'd sit down and watch one of my millions of shows and eat my pasta/potato and be super annoyed if I were interrupted.  But now-- i MUST have at least some time to myself.  Time to reflect or time to sing/dance super loud/dumb or time to sleep or time to eat junk food or to even just time to do nothing.

11. How to be minimally awkward.  This is probably one of the most important things I learned here.  I can be in a giant room with complete strangers, have NOBODY to talk to-- and still manage to not be awkward! I've found myself in that situation a LOT here- and I've learned how to like, keep to myself and not be awkward and pathetic about it as well as how to mingle if necessary and make small talk. Super useful.

12.The metric system!! Kinda.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento