There are lots of things I love, lots of stuff I hate, lots of knowledge I've acquired along the way, and lots of things I still don't understand. I suppose in a way it's about me, but I didn't want this to be a repeat of my lengthy life updates. So, it's just a collection of lists. At least one per week. An insight inside my brain, if you will. Twelve items pertaining to whatever topic I feel like, ranked in appropriate order, for your reading pleasure and mostly so I can put all my thoughts onto "paper." Maybe you'll agree. Maybe you'll think I have the dumbest opinions on the face of this planet. Maybe you'll laugh. Maybe you'll wish you could get those few minutes of your life back that you just spent reading what I had to say. But maybe, just maybe, you'll learn a little something new.

sabato 19 maggio 2012

"Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew"

If you do not know what this post is about based on its title-- shame.  I suppose you'll have to be confused/curious for a few more seconds until you continue reading. This sounds like a useless and boring post--- however--- potatoes are AWESOME and you should therefore know the best ways to go about eating them.  People who have met me recently, might not know, but my nickname from all my glorious years as a swimmer is/was Tatoe.  Short for Potato.  All of the swim team community called me Tatoe--- even the parents.  People from other swim teams would know me by tatoe instead of Katie--- and some people didn't even know my real name because Tatoe was my name. and thats final.  Why, do you ask?  Because I love potatoes--- and I'm a CHAMP at eating them. Now, this is just a normal potato, none of that sweet potato nonsense--- just a good old fashion potato. Also, please note that it was SUPER hard to rank these--- and being near the bottom of the list isn't a bad thing.  there are just so many delicious ways to eat a potato.

12. Potato chips.  A delicious snack that I tend to not indulge in because--- Pringles says it best: "Once you pop, the fun don't stop" And I just don't need to get enormous off of potato chips.  Salt and vinegar is also the best flavor. by far.

11.  Potato salad. As I was ranking these--- I was sad that potato salad was all the way at 11, because it's a delicious and refreshing summer necessity.

10. Raclette.  This is actually a type of French cheese... but you put it on potatoes.  There is this special grill thingy that you melt the cheese in and then you scrape it off onto the potatoes.  While it is delicious and super fun and makes you feel super fancy--- it's a LOT of work and a lot of dishes when the cheese can melt on its own from the potato that just got cooked.  Why do the french make everything so complicated?  However, its fun and fancy and tasty.

9. On a pizza.  Potatoes on a pizza is prime.  Fratelli di Bufala does one with potatoes and sausage called Mugnanse. Get it every time.  Ian's does Steak and Fries.

8. Gnocchi.  Didn't like it before coming to Italy--- but it is in fact, delicious.

7. Mixed in with things-- such as in a stew. or, OMG. BREAKFAST BURRITOS.

6. Fries.  Also try not to indulge in fries because--- they're freaking delicious.  Loaded fries--- o dear lord.  you put some bacon bits, cheese, onions, sour cream--- anything and everything you can imagine--- orgasm in your mouth.  Then you go to Belgium where you get REAL french fries--- you slap some coleslaw, ketchup and mayo on there---you'll never want to leave.  Or simply even some McDonald's fries with some classic BBQ sauce is a win.

5. Potato skins.  It's like loaded french fries but in the SHAPE of a potato, making it that much cooler.  God bless American appetizers.

4.  Hash browns.

3. Potato casserole. My mom-- I believe she got the recipe from mt grandma?-- makes a KILLER potato casserole.  In a useful blog, this is the part where I'd share the recipe--- but this isn't a useful blog--- and I just don't have it.  Maybe I'll do a post about the 12 best recipes and then share them one day.

2. Baked.  As all my roommates know---I sorta rock at baked potatoes.  Stick that sucker in the microwave for a few minutes--- then you put cottage cheese, green onions, a butt ton of salt and pepper, and sriracha to your liking. (aka a butt ton of sriracha) It's amazing and somewhat healthy.

1. Mashed potatoes.  This is where I got my nickname from.  I ate so many mashed potatoes one night at the Bergstrom household that they started calling me Tatoe. Who doesn't get all warm and fuzzy inside when thinking about Thanksgiving day and shoving mashed potatoes and gravy in your mouth, alongside your turkey, stuffing, etc.  I like it with the skin and with chunks, because it adds a bit of texture-- as well as garlic or something.  but seriously, they stand alone.  I would eat them with nothing at all.  The Shold family used to make me mashed potatoes for breakfast when I'd sleep over at their house.  Mashed potatoes are the foundation of family. of life. of tradition.  Mashed potatoes can save lives.

ok, that might have been a bit dramatic, but mashed potatoes are REALLY, REALLY good.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento